SOLICITORSMAKE AN ENQUIRY
I have a significant academic interest.
I have over 30 publications in peer review journals, including papers on open fractures, pelvic fractures, wrist fractures, tibial fractures, foot fractures, hip fractures, hip resurfacing, knee replacements and knee arthroscopies.
I am the chief investigator for KFORT. This is a randomised trial comparing distal femoral replacement vs fixation in older patients who have sustained a distal femur fracture.
I have been awarded a £250,000 grant from the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to run this trial at 7 UK centres.
I am co-applicant for ACEFIT. This is a randomised trial comparing non-operative management, vs fixation, vs fix and replace for older patients who have sustained acetabular fractures We have been awarded £250,000 from the NIHR to run this trial.
I am co-applicant for L1FE study . This is a randomised trial looking at treatment of older patients with pelvic fractures. We have been awarded a grant of £2.5 million from NIHR to run this trial.
I am the chair of the trial steering committee for TULIP, this is a randomised trial looking at different treatment options in patients who have sustained pelvic fractures.
I am / have been the principal investigator in Cambridge for 6 National trauma trials including:
AIM – A prospective trial into the management of ankle fractures in older patients
WOLLF – A prospective randomised trial on open lower limb fractures
WHIST – A prospective randomised trial on wound healing following lower limb injuries
FiXDT – A prospective randomised trial into the management of distal tibial fractures
WHITE – Looking at hip fracture management in older patients
STAR – A prospective randomised trial for patients with Achilles tendon rupture
- Tissingh E, Hull P. Open lower limb fractures in Major Trauma Centers – A loss leader? Injury 2017; 48: 353-6
- Taki H, Hull P et al. Closed fractures of the tibial shaft in adults Orthopaedics and Trauma 2017 31:116 - 124
- Memarzadeh A, Hull P et al. Intramedullary nailing of Femoral shaft fractures in adults. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2017; 31: 86-92
- Tissingh E, Hull P et al. Pelvic and acetabular fractures. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2017; 31: 68-75
- Memarzadeh A, Hull P et al. The decline of elective operating at major trauma centres. 2017; 99: 166-168
- Murphy C, Gill J, Carrothers A, Hull P. Treatment of Displaced Sacroiliac Fracture Using the Lateral Window for Short Plate Buttress Reduction and Percutaneous Sacroiliac Screw Fixation. The Archives of Bone and Joint Surgery 2016; 16:173-6
- Burnet NG, Nasr P, Yip G, Scaife JE, House T, Thomas SJ, Hull P et al. Prophylactic Radiotherapy against Heterotopic Ossification around Acetabular Fractures requiring Surgical Reconstruction. Clinical Oncology 2016; 28: 69
- Yip G, Norrish A, Carrothers A, Hull P. Capacity planning for the implementation of major trauma centres. Bulletins of Royal College of Surgeons 2016; 98: 122-6
- Smith J, Hull P et al on behalf of Collaborative - Orthopaedic Trauma Society. Distal femoral fractures: The need to review the standard of care. Injury 2015; 46:1084-1088
- Wong K, Rich J, Yip G, Hull P. Management of hip fractures pre- and post-Major Trauma Centre activation. Injury 2015; 10: 1975-77
- Hull P, Johnson S, Stephen D, Kreder H, Jenkinson R. Delayed debridement of severe open fractures is associated with a higher rate of deep infection. Bone and Joint Journal 2014;96-B:379–84
- Hannah A, Aboelmagd T, Yip G, Hull P. A novel technique for accurate Poller (blocking) screw placement. Injury 2014; 45: 1011-14
- Burnet NG, Nasr P, Yip G, Scaife JE, House T, Thomas SJ, Hull P et al. Prophylactic radiotherapy against heterotopic ossification following internal fixation of acetabular fractures: a comparative estimate of risk. Br J Radiol 2014;87:20140398.
- Hull P, Baraza N Whalley H, Gohil M, Brewster M, Costa M. A short term functional outcome study of dorsally displaced distal radial fractures, treated with either K-wires or volar locking plates. J Trauma 2011; 70: 125-128
- Hull P, Baxter JA, Kordas G, Foguet P, Prakash U. Metal-on-metal hip resurfacing with uncemented fixation of the femoral component. A minimum of 2 years follow up. Hip International 2011; 21: 475-478
- Lewis C, Mauffrey C, Hull P, Brookes S. Knee arthroscopy and driving. Results of a prospective questionnaire survey and review of the literature. Acta Orthop. Belg 2011; 77: 336-338
- Hull P, Baraza N, Harris R, Costa M. Current Treatment Methods used for treating dorsally displaced distal radial fractures by UK orthopaedic surgeons. Hand Surgery 2010; 15(3): 185-191
- Brewster M, McArthur J, Hull P, Ramos J. MOJE first metatarsal phalangeal replacement – A case series with functional outcomes using the AOFAS-HMI score. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 2010; 49: 37-42
- Lewis C, Newman S, Lambert A, Hull P. Current concepts in carpal tunnel syndrome: a review of the literature. The European Journal of Orthopaedics & Traumatology 2010; 20: 445-452
- Beazley J, Hull P. Temporary intra-operative reduction techniques for tibial fracture fixation: a review of the literature. Injury 2010; 41: 1228-1233
- Brewster M, Mauffrey C, Lewis A, Hull P. Lower limb lengthening: is there a difference in the lengthening index and infection rates of lengthening with external fixators, external fixators with intramedullary nails or intramedullary nailing alone? A systematic review of the literature. The European Journal of Orthopaedics & Traumatology 2010; 20: 103- 108
- Whalley H, Thomas G, Hull P, Porter K. Surgeon versus metalwork – tips to win the battle of removing a broken intramedullary nail. Injury 2009; 40: 783-789.
- Hull P, Chaudry A, Prasthofer A, Pattison G. Optimal sequencing of bedside teaching and computer based learning: a randomised trial. Medical Education 2009; 43: 108-112
- Prasthofer A, Pattison G, Achten J, Parsons N, Hull P, Costa ML. The effect of computer based video instruction in orthopaedic higher surgical trainees. Educacion Medica 2009; 12, Supplement 2.
- Hull P, Korim T, Lewis C, Brooks S. Patients’ preference for the timing and location of follow up following day case arthroscopic knee surgery – The results of a questionnaire. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2009; 15: 404-408.
- Cooper L, Mauffrey C, Hull P, Brewster M, Lewis C, Makrides P. A short term functional outcome study comparing closed reduction percutaneous wire fixation with open reduction internal fixation for fractures of the distal radius: A pilot study. The European Journal of Orthopaedics & Traumatology 2009; 18: 551-554.
- Korim M, Soobrah R, Hull P. To admit or not: The use of a camera mobile phone in trauma and orthopaedics at night in a UK hospital. The European Journal of Orthopaedics & Traumatology. 2009; 19: 217-221.
- Hull P. A review of the management of open tibial fractures. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology 2008; 18: 441-447. 29. Westerman R, Hull P, Cooper J. The physiological cost of restricted weight bearing. Injury 2008; 39: 725-727.
- Korim MT, Lee E, Pobbathi S, Brewster M, Hull P, Srinivasan K. A case series of hip fracture surgery two days after stopping clopidogrel. Injury Extra 2008; 39: 273-275.
- Hull P, Whalley H, Docker C. STORM – A revolutionary aid for tibial fracture reduction. European Orthopaedic Product News 2008; 113: 44-4
- Hull P, Lewis C, Whalley H, Sambatakais A. Are we really balancing total knee replacements? The results of a trial, objectively assessing soft tissue balance intraoperatively using the Stryker knee balancer. European Orthopaedic Product News 2008; 114: 44-45